Sunday, October 16, 2011

I (heart) sarcasm

<p>I love sarcasm. I find it to be useful in so many situations (though not always beneficial.) True sarcasm is an art my father, and grandfather, perfected, hand crafted and then through hours of sheer exposure passed down to each new child and grandchild. In our family it is used as a shield, a weapon, a coping mechanism, and just basic entertainment. Family events are, loadings and occasionally obnoxious (for the family, but especially the people around us). Nothing and no one is off limits, kids, waitresses, strangers. We don't care. Funerals, weddings, birthdays no occasion is sacred. After hearing my cousin say my family "put the fun back in funeral" an uncle once turned a funeral luncheon sign into the fun earl luncheon. (Earl being the name of the deceased, and needless to say, not so much fun.) My elderly dog began just leaning to the right one day. Chuck nearly fell over laughing (or died from shock) when I began referring to her as Eileen . You see, I am more a when life gives you lemons mix it with a little vodka, and then make fun of it then a lemonade kinda gal.</p>
<p>But there are always those who just don't get sarcasm. Man, those people annoy this piss outta me! They think sarcasm is snarky, or unsophisticated. Well, I would rather be snarky then compliant and boring. (Of course, I dye my hair purple and won't hate Disney princesses, not exactly a conformist.) If you cannot find humor in life then I don't really need you around anyway. My ex husband was also extremely sarcastic (made for interesting fights). He and I remained friends after the divorce and often exchanged dating stories. I remember he and I having a "fight" on Facebook about who got custody of a mutual college friend. I had sarcastically posted a comment about how she was not allowed to be friends with me ex on FB. So she posted that on his wall which I saw, because they are both my FB friends, so I rebutted by saying I saw them talking and retained custody of mutual friends...anyway getting to my point it took on a life of its own and the three of us went back and forth with quite a number of smartass comments. The girl my ex had been seeing read them and commented to him that she just didn't get it. He decided not to try and explain, cause if she didn't get sarcasm, she wouldn't be around long enough to be worth th explanation. If ya don't get it...just move on.

Of course, since the advent of text messaging, Twitter, and Facebook I have found my sarcasm is not as easily detected. Once you have to explain it, well, that just kills the funny altogether. (It's an in the moment kinda humor.) I do so wish there was a sarcasm font so that people who don't  know me well can know that I would never seriously drop kick the neighbor's constantly barking, rat dogs, or not take care of old Eileen, but I can't laugh about life's bad times and frustrations, I'd loose my mind!

Sarcasm, it's what's for dinner!


1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! I would LOVE a sarcasm font. I absolutely abhor explaining sarcastic texts. I have taken to writing my sarcastic texts as follows:
    (read in my sarcastic voice)I love cleaning up your toenail clippings.

    I just don't want any confusion on issues like that.

    ReplyDelete